What Is BGA Package Technology?
The BGA (Ball Grid Array) – Or ball-pin-lattice array package technology is high-density surface assembly packaging technology. At the bottom of the encapsulation, the pins are all spherical and arranged in a lattice-like pattern, thus named BGA. The mainboard control chipset primarily uses this kind of packaging technology, and the material is predominantly ceramic. The memory encapsulated with BGA technology can increase the memory capacity two to three times with the internal volume changes.
The BGA has a smaller volume, better heat dissipation, and electric performance than the TSOP. The BGA packaging technology promotes storage per square inch significantly. Memory products using BGA packaging technology are only a third of the TSOP volume; the BGA package has faster and more efficient cooling than the standard TSOP package.
What Features Does The BGA Package Have?
- More I/O number. The size of the package and the solder pitch chiefly determine the number of I/I of the BGA packaging device. Since technicians arrange the BGA packaged solder ball under the packaging substrate in an array, the I/O number of the device can be greatly improved, reduce the size of the package, and save the space of the assembly. Generally, the technicians can reduce the package size by more than 30% with the same number of leads. For example, CBGA-49, BGA-320 (1.27mm) are 84% and 47% compared to PLCC-44 (1.27mm) and MOFP-304 (0.8mm), respectively.
- Promote the finished rate of assembly, potentially reducing the cost.
- The contact surface of BGA and the substrate is large and short, which helps heat dissipation.
- Based on different packaging materials, technicians can verify BGA components into PBGA (plastic BGA), CBGA (ceramic BGA), CCBGA (ceramic column BGA), TBGA (tape BGA), and CSP (chip-scale package).
The Similarities Between The DIP Double Inline Package And BGA Assembly
DIP double inline package and BGA package are Semiconductor packaging. Semiconductor packaging usually refers to the process for the tested wafers according to the product model and functional requirements to acquire independent chips. The packaging process is: the wafer from the previous wafer process is cut into small wafers (Die) after the dicing process, and then the cut wafers are glued to the edges of the corresponding substrate (lead frame) frame.
Connect the bonding pad of the chip (Bond Pad) to the corresponding pin (Lead) of the substrate by using ultra-fine metal (gold, tin, copper, aluminum) wire or conductive resin to form the required circuit. The independent chip is encapsulated and protected with a plastic shell. After plastic encapsulation, a few operations are needed. After technicians complete the encapsulation, they test the finished product. Usually, it passes through the incoming test and packaging procedures and is finally put in the warehouse for shipment.
How To Process A BGA Assembly?
The substrate or middle layer is an essential part of the BGA package, the interconnect wiring, impedance control, and the integration of inductance/resistance/capacitance. Therefore, the substrate material must have a high glass conversion temperature (about 175~230℃), considerable size stability and low moisture absorption, good electrical performance, and high reliability. Metal film, insulation layer, and substrate medium also have a high adhesion performance.
The Packaging Process for wire bonding PBGA
- Preparation of the PBGA substrate
Thin copper foil (12 to 18 um thick) on both sides of the bt resin/glass core plate and drilled and metallicized. Use conventional PCB plus 3232 on both sides of the substrate, such as guide bands, electrodes, and a welding area array of solder balls. The solder mask is then added to expose electrodes and weld areas. One substrate usually includes multiple PBG substrates to promote productivity.
- Package process:
Chip bonding uses silver charge epoxy adhesive to bond the IC chip to the substrate. It then uses gold wire bonding to connect the chip to the substrate, followed by molding package sealing or liquid glue sealing to protect the chip, welding wire, and welding plate. Place a solder ball of 183℃, diameter 30mil (0.75mm) using a unique design pickup tool 62 / 36 / 2sn / PB / ag / 63 / 37 / sn / PB on the pad for reflow welding in the conventional furnace, and the maximum processing temperature shall not exceed 230℃. Technicians then centrifuged the substrate using a CFC inorganic cleaning machine to remove the solder and fiber particles remaining on the package, marking, separation, final inspection, testing, and packing storage. The above is the packaging process of the lead-bonded PBGA.
The Packaging Process for FC-CBGA
- Ceramic PCB bare board
The substrate of FC-CBGA is a multilayer ceramic substrate, and its production is quite tricky. Because the wiring density of the substrate is high, the pitch is narrow, there are many through holes, and the coplanarity of the substrate is relatively high. Its primary process is first to co-fire the multilayer ceramic sheet into a multilayer ceramic metalized substrate at a high temperature. Then make multilayer metal wiring on the substrate and then electroplate. In the assembly of CBGA, the CTE mismatch between the substrate, the chip, and the PCB is the main factor causing the failure of CBGA products. In addition to the CCGA structure, another ceramic substrate-HITCE ceramic substrate can also be used to improve this situation.
- Package process procedure:
Thinner the wafer→Cutting the wafer→Chip bonding→Cleaning→Wire Bonding→Plasma cleaning→Liquid sealant potting→Assembly solder ball→Reflow →Surface marking →Separation→Final test→FQC→Package
Venture’s BGA Capabilities
- BGA minimum size 0.3mm.
- Our minimum distance to the circuit line is 0.2mm.
- The minimum length of two BGA is 0.2mm.
Venture’s BGA Assembly Capabilities
- We have five automated inspecting systems available & capable of inspecting solder ball coverage.
- We can provide you with machine vision automation solutions for inspecting solder ball height, Automatic placement of CBGA, PBGA, and MBGA.
- X-ray inspection machines are available in real-time for verification.
BGA Assembly Advantages:
- Higher-Density Circuits: As the density of open-hole circuits increases, it becomes almost impossible to weld them without crossing or short circuits accurately.
- Heat Conduction: The BGA circuit makes the assembly easier to transfer heat outward from the integrated circuit. Thus, it helps reduce the overheating problem.
- Lower Inductance: Since each welding ball in a BGA circuit is usually only a few millimeters large, the interference problem within the circuit has significantly reduced.
What Can Venture Electronics Do For BGA Assembly Service?
Venture Electronics can offer you complete turnkey PCB assembly services in prototype quantities, or low volume to mid-volume production builds. We can handle the whole process, including:
- We source all the components.
- Manufacturing the PCB.
- We assemble the PCB.
- Testing and final shipment.
We are also capable of advanced technology such as BGA assembly, Micro-BGA, and other lead-less package parts.
Venture Electronics is capable of handling your assembly requirements. With our experienced BGA assembly technology and sufficient equipment in-house, we can surely deliver the best quality products that meet your demands. Please feel free to contact our sales team right away if you have projects in hand!
There are no reviews yet.